REALLY "TRI" ING


are floaties allowed?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I am on hair strike.  Hair strike is not pretty.  Hair strike is the refusal to put even the teeniest bit of effort into doing my hair.  It needs to be cut, colored and styled. Until then, hair strike.  I will be glad when hair strike is over.  I am betting those who actually have to look at me will be even more glad when hair strike is over.

Hair v. triathlon.  I chose triathlon.  (Hence, hair strike).  

Today was a bike - swim - bike day.   Random, I know.

 The public pool has two adult swim lanes.  The other lanes are occupied by kids of various ages learning how to swim.    The girl in the lane next to me had no interest whatsoever in listening to her  instructor let alone actually swimming.  This redheaded, freckle-faced firecracker kept me entertained with her antics the whole time I was in the pool.

Kids crack me up.  You just never know they are going to do or say.  Their perspective on life is so unique.  One day at work I had a patient who was about four or five.  We spent the whole morning together.  I was doing a test on her to see if she was lactose intolerant.  It's a simple test.  You drink some sugar water that has lactose in it then every half hour you breathe into a mask.  I collect these breathing samples, put them into a machine and if the numbers jump up you are lactose intolerant and if they don't, you're not.  Simple.  The test takes about four hours.    I love this part of my job because 1. nothing hurts, 2.  I get to spend lots of time with the kids and 3. I get to throw lactose parties with champagne glasses and tiaras.  (well, yes, some of the boys have mentioned it might be nice to have another headdress option but they look so cute in their little tiaras).  So this little girl and I bonded over sugar water.  At one point during the morning we were sitting next to each other.  She reached over and grabbed the ID hanging from the lanyard around my neck.  She looked at the picture of me on my ID.  She looked up at me.  She looked at my picture.  She looked back up at me.  Very matter-of-factly and quite nonjudgementally she said: "oh, so you used to be a man."  OK.  Wow.

Maybe hair strike was not the right choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment