REALLY "TRI" ING


are floaties allowed?

Friday, November 4, 2011

It´s going to snow tomorrow.  That´s what Bob Maxon said.  A rare October snowstorm.  Huh.  That´s weird.  I guess I better run to the store and get some milk and eggs.  And candy.  You know, the necessities.

So the thing about rare October snowstorms is that IT ISN´T SUPPOSED TO SNOW IN OCTOBER.  For good reason.  Let´s all think about this for a second.  Fall.  Colors.  Leaves.  Trees.  Leaves on the tress.  Lots and lots of leaves on the trees.  Snowstorm.  A Nor´easter.  Snow.  Lots and lots of snow. Snow on the trees.  The trees with leaves.


I like electricity.  I like being able to flip a switch and have something turn on.  Like a light.  Or the heat.  Or my curling iron.  Or, for God´s sake, THE COFFEE POT.

Our power went out Saturday.  Last Saturday.  As in, about a week ago.    Biggest October snowstorm in recorded history here in Connecticut.  Wow.  Is that a record you really want to break??

Trees and power lines came down everywhere, strewn across streets and yards and houses in every which way.   Roads are impassable.  People can't get out of their own driveways.   Chaos rules.  Rioting in the street.  Ok, ok, I'm making those last things up but people did start fighting over gas at the few gas stations that had power.
 It's a disaster outside.  It's pretty unbelievable, actually.  It's like it's not real, like it's a movie set.   Simsbury is 100% without electricity.  The whole town.  Totally shut down.  And it's been like that since Saturday.

I would have died in Colonial times.  I know this.  I have always known this.  I really don't understand why I am being put through this little charade.

I had things in the washing machine when the power went out.  I took them out and hung them up to dry.  They now have icicles on them.  I hung them up inside the house.


The day after the power went out my sixteen year old son went to stay with a friend who had a generator.  I packed bags of food,  hugged him good bye and said I didn't know when I'd see him again.  He called later that night to check up on us.  I told him that his dad had lit candles.  Tons and tons of candles.  "How romantic," he said.


 I took a shower at the emergency shelter our town set up in the high school.  Only it wasn't a shower.  It was a spurt.  A spurt of tepid water.    After taking said tepid spurt and managing somehow to wash my hair, I was told I couldn't use my hairdryer.   I headed out of the high school / emergency shelter into the freezing cold night with dripping wet hair.  Long dripping wet hair.     Icicles in my life.


No power.  No electricity.  For a week.  And possibly another entire week.


And so, dear 18 followers and 2 lurkers, you see, I had to do it.  I had no choice.


I ran away.







No comments:

Post a Comment