REALLY "TRI" ING


are floaties allowed?

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bike + Run = Death     part 2.

It all started out so perfectly.  Bright sunny day, not too hot.  Start of a three day weekend.  Coming off a rest day.  Beautiful.  Maybe if there had been a few signs.  Maybe if there had been only skim milk in the fridge for my coffee instead of whole or maybe if I couldn't find a matching barrette for my hair.  But no, my coffee was delish and I was having an awesome hair day.  No warning signs at all for what was to come.

I have thought a lot about this triathlon.  I have spent hours and hours and hours thinking about this triathlon. Researching on line, pouring over websites, marking certain sites as favorites and coming back to them time and time again.  And of course, dear 10 followers, by now you  know me well enough  to know that we are talking about triathlon clothing here, right?  So surely you can appreciate how huge a day it was yesterday.  I bought my triathlon clothing.  And it wasn't at all what I had planned.   I found a store in the next town that sells tri clothing.  And it was in that store that I discovered .....the suit.  The Zoot Suit.  What is a Zoot Suit you ask?  Quite simply, the Zoot Suit is a Superman Cape.  For triathletes.  I put the Zoot Suit/ Superman Cape on and became a triathlete.

And so it was, bolstered by my great hair and miraculous new Zoot Suit, that I decide today is the day.  The day of bike and run.  A combined event day.  I set off on my bike.  I bike and bike.  I bike up hills (good-bye free shows..thank you Zoot Suit), I bike down hills.  I bike faster than I have ever biked.  I am the wind in my Zoot Suit.  I bike for miles and miles then head home, psyched for my run.  The run.  My event.  The one thing I know I can do.  The one thing I know I've got.  Can't wait to see how I own it in this new, Superman Zoot Suit.  I race home.  Down the street.  Down the driveway.  Screech to a stop.  Jump off the bike, throw the helmet down, start off on my run and.....DIE.  My legs aren't working.  Where are my legs?  Where are my legs??  Did I leave them on the bike?  I look down.  No, I have them.   They are still attached.  Well, something is attached.   Something that looks like normal legs.  They have feet and knees.  But normal legs hold you up.   Normal legs propel you forward when you tell them to.  Normal legs have muscles that twitch and nerves that fire on command.  These things sticking out of my body lack any connection to the command center in my head.  They have a mind of their own.  And their mind is telling them to do the herky jerky and turn themselves around.


Surprise!  Alien legs.  During a triathlon you you grow alien legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment